What do volunteers do?
About People First Credit Union
People First Credit Union (PFCU) is a member owned credit union based on co-operative values. We have over 40,000 members across our common bond of Portlaoise, Athy, Abbeyleix, and Stradbally.
Credit unions are run by a mixture of volunteers and paid staff.
Directors are volunteers. Many committees can contain volunteers who are not directors but are happy to give some of their time to serving their community. It can also be a pathway to being nominated for Board membership.
The criteria for accepting volunteers are:
1. be financially sound
2. be honest, ethical and act with integrity
3. be competent and capable, including being able to give the necessary time commitment.
Main duties of our Board of Directors:
- Set strategy and monitor implementation.
- Set policies and review annually.
- Form committees as required by credit union legislation.
- General control, direction, and oversight of management.
- Appointing managers, risk management officers, compliance offers and approving the appointment of any other member of the management team.
- Ensuring the performance of employees and voluntary assistants is reviewed and monitored on an ongoing basis to ensure his or her continued appropriateness for their role in the credit union.
Main duties of our Board Oversight Committee (BOC):
- Ensure that the Board is fulfilling its statutory duties.
- Report to the membership at each AGM.
Why should I volunteer?
- Learn new skills
- Develop new interests
- Increase employability
- Use professional skills
- Increase self-confidence
- To have a sense of purpose and achievement
- To make a difference in your community
- Build your network
- You will be involved in decision-making with team of dedicated volunteers and will be responsible for directing the affairs of a local business.
- The credit union provides targeted training programs that increases career prospects by adding a valuable achievement to your CV.
How do I become a volunteer?
All volunteers are subject to the normal fitness and probity regimes for credit unions as outlined by the Central Bank of Ireland.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, please read our induction pack below for more information on what is involved.
The below questionnaire is required and will be reviewed by PFCU's nomination committee.